english
stringlengths
2
3.06k
non_english
stringlengths
1
2.84k
language
stringclasses
52 values
20 years ago, who would have imagined that a seven foot-plus tall Chinese athlete would become the only non-American player to lead the NBA in all-star voting.
20年前,谁能想到 一个两米多高的中国运动员 能够成为领衔美国篮球职业联盟 全明星选秀的唯一一个非美国籍运动员。
en-zh-cn
Number two: We're well educated and super motivated.
第二:我们都受过良好的教育, 而且干劲儿十足。
en-zh-cn
Because of the high population density and limited resources, labor is easily replaceable in China.
由于人口众多,资源有限, 在中国劳动力是很容易被取代的。
en-zh-cn
We are required to work harder and be more motivated just to compete with our peers.
我们被要求更努力的工作,更主动, 只为了在与同龄人的竞争中不被淘汰。
en-zh-cn
We're surely not all of the labor pool in China.
当然我们并不是中国全部的劳动力。
en-zh-cn
I contacted Dx Consulting.
我联系过Dx 咨询公司。
en-zh-cn
Today, 57 percent of Chinese millennials have a bachelor's degree; 23 percent of us have a master's degree; and 20 percent have an associate's degree.
当今,中国的千禧一代中 57%拥有本科学位; 23%拥有硕士学位; 20%有专科学位。
en-zh-cn
And of course, we're not just educated in China.
当然,我们不仅仅是在中国接受教育。
en-zh-cn
In the U.S. in 2014 and '15, 42 percent of Chinese students were studying STEM - science, technology, engineering, mathematics - versus 12 percent for American students.
在美国,2014-2015年间, 42%的中国留学生研修了理工科学位—— 科学,技术,工程,数学—— 在美国学生中这个比例只有12%。
en-zh-cn
27 percent of us were studying business and management versus 16 for all students studying in the U.S.
我们中27%的人选择了 商科和管理学专业, 而全美这个比例是16%。
en-zh-cn
We are choosing majors that can give us a competitive edge, and in turn, higher exposure and impact in Western society.
我们选择的是能让我们 更有竞争优势的专业, 期望得到西方社会更多的关注和认可。
en-zh-cn
Are you having a hard time motivating your American millennial employees?
你们是不是觉得动员美国本土的 千禧一代努力工作很费劲儿?
en-zh-cn
(Laughter) Well, Chinese millennials don't need you to spend a dime on a Foosball table or an in-house coffee shop.
(笑声) 相比之下,中国千禧一代可 不需要你们在桌上足球或者建内部咖啡店 上浪费一分钱去激励他们。
en-zh-cn
(Laughter) (Applause) We are already super motivated and qualified.
(笑声)(掌声) 我们已经具备了超强的动力和才华
en-zh-cn
(Laughter) And we're more than happy to take on the tough jobs.
(笑声) 我们也完全不介意面对棘手的工作。
en-zh-cn
In fact, we've been preparing for it.
事实上我们一直在为此做准备。
en-zh-cn
Number three: We are the Bruce Lee in Levi's with a smartphone who shop online every day.
第三点:我们是穿着Levi‘s 的Bruce Lee 每天都用手机网购。
en-zh-cn
Chinese millennials are multicultural.
中国的千禧一代文化背景丰富。
en-zh-cn
I even used chopsticks to eat Georgian barbecue when I was interning here in Atlanta.
我在亚特兰大实习的时候 甚至还用筷子吃过 美国南方风味的烤肉。
en-zh-cn
And I was more devastated at this guy's death than my best scores on my Chinese exam.
相比我在中文考试中拿到了最好成绩, 这个人的死更让我感到震惊。
en-zh-cn
We are really digital.
我们是数字化的一代。
en-zh-cn
In 2017, smartphone penetration rates is almost 100 percent for those of us who are ages 18 to 34.
2017年,在18到34岁这个年龄段中, 智能手机的普及率达到了100%。
en-zh-cn
We are also shaping mobile payment as well as the economy.
我们也塑造了移动支付和 对应的经济模式。
en-zh-cn
According to a 2017 survey from Labbrand, 86 percent of Chinese millennials use mobile payment in physical shops at least once a week, versus 45 percent for American millennials.
朗标咨询公司在2017年的 一份调查报告中指出, 86%的中国千禧一代每周至少用手机 在实体店消费一次, 这个数字在美国是45%。
en-zh-cn
And according to Dx Consulting, we spend four times what American millennials spend for mobile purchases.
Dx咨询公司也指出, 我们通过手机支付的费用 是美国千禧一代的四倍。
en-zh-cn
The U.S. is the center of the digital universe.
别忘了美国才是数字化时代的中心。
en-zh-cn
But for how much longer?
但这个优势会持续多久呢?
en-zh-cn
If you want to buy the best digital real estate in the virtual world of the future, I suggest that China is a prime location.
如果你想在未来的虚拟世界购买 最好的数字地产, 我强烈建议把中国作为首选目标。
en-zh-cn
The good news for foreign companies hoping to capture part of the Chinese millennial market is that my cohort is extremely mobile and adventurous.
对于希望抓住中国千禧一代 部分市场的外企来说,好消息就是 我的同胞们极其具有冒险精神, 而且善于变通。
en-zh-cn
Here's my personal travel map for the last couple of years.
这是我最近几年的旅行轨迹。
en-zh-cn
The desire to see the world dominates our consumption habits.
我渴望看到世界在主导我们的消费习惯。
en-zh-cn
We aren't just spending money at home, we are also making purchases and using web services from foreign companies like Airbnb and Uber when we travel overseas.
我们并不仅仅是在自己的国家消费, 我们在国外旅行时,也会通过 网络服务进行消费, 比如爱彼迎和优步。
en-zh-cn
Sure, you buy things from us, and we buy things from you.
当然,我们互相都有生意往来。
en-zh-cn
(Laughter) So next time you have a meeting on how to exploit millennial markets, keep in mind that Chinese millennials - not American - are the biggest emerging consumer demographic on the planet.
(笑声) 所以如果下次你们要商讨 如何开拓千禧一代的市场, 请记住中国千禧一代—— 不是美国哦—— 才是世界上迅速崛起的 最大的消费群体。
en-zh-cn
Number four: We're big picture people.
第四点:我们目光长远,以全局为重。
en-zh-cn
Do you know how big China is?
中国到底有多大?
en-zh-cn
It's around the same size as the States.
跟美国差不多。
en-zh-cn
But we all know that there are four time zones across the contiguous United States.
不过我们都知道美国本土 横跨了四个时区。
en-zh-cn
In China, we've got one.
在中国,我们只有一个。
en-zh-cn
In China, everything is perceived as one.
在中国,所有人步调一致。
en-zh-cn
One time zone, one official language, one party, despite diverse ethnicities and cultures.
只有一个时区, 一种官方语言, 一个执政党, 尽管民族众多,文化迥异。
en-zh-cn
Our thinking always starts from the overview to the specific.
我们的思维模式总是从整体到局部。
en-zh-cn
The Chinese way of writing an address is country, city, and street.
中国人写联络地址的顺序是 国家,城市,街道。
en-zh-cn
And we write the date: year, month, and day.
我们写日期是按照年,月,日的顺序。
en-zh-cn
And because we are such big picture people, we focus much more on growth and the future than Americans in the workplace.
正因为我们顾全大局, 相比美国人关注就业市场, 我们更关注经济增长和未来发展。
en-zh-cn
We tend to look at a company as a whole and see how we fit into it.
我们倾向于从整体上评价一个公司, 看看要如何融入它的文化。
en-zh-cn
And number five: We're still Confucian individualists.
第五点:我们仍然是 儒家文化背景下的独立个体。
en-zh-cn
Granted, we Chinese millennials are acting more and more individual nowadays, but ten years of iPhone and online dating apps cannot wipe out thousands of years of Confucian cultures.
诚然,我们中国千禧一代 越来越特立独行了, 但是过去几年使用 iPhone和网络约会应用 并不能抹去几千年的儒家文化。
en-zh-cn
A sense of hierarchy is still deeply entrenched in our understanding and construction of social relations.
等级观念仍然深深的影响着 我们对社会关系的理解和构建。
en-zh-cn
In my mind, a child is supposed to show respect to his parents just like if I'm a subordinate.
我认为,孩子依然 应该对父母表现出尊重, 就好比下属对上级。
en-zh-cn
I'm expected to show respect to a senior manager.
我也理应对资深的上级表示出尊敬。
en-zh-cn
I don't think we should disagree with our bosses or criticize them, at least not directly or publicly.
我不认为应该反对或者顶撞老板, 至少不能直接或者公开这么做。
en-zh-cn
(Laughter) (Laughter) My American friends are more likely to challenge authority and power, and I think that's a good thing.
(笑声) (笑声) 我的美国朋友们 总是喜欢挑战权威势力, 我不觉得这有什么不妥。
en-zh-cn
We might learn a little bit from American millennials on that, but I do like our respect for hierarchy and experience, and I don't want to see that go away.
在这一点上我们多少应该 向美国千禧一代学习, 但我依然赞成对 等级和经验表示出尊重, 我不希望看到这种传统消失
en-zh-cn
In 20 years, we'll all still be millennials, but we'll be 40, we'll be in bigger positions of power, and we'll have much more opportunity to change the world like we insist we know how to do right now.
再过20年,我们依然还是千禧一代, 但是我们已经40多岁了, 也会获得更多的权力, 我们改变世界的机会也更多 , 就像我们坚持认为自己 知道现在应该做什么。
en-zh-cn
And I really hope we do.
我对此深信不疑。
en-zh-cn
Everybody knows the Great Wall of China.
中国的长城无人不知。
en-zh-cn
Even those ancient walls were crossed by Admiral Zheng He 600 years ago, and our new border, if we even had one, is far beyond the old one.
即便古老的城墙壁垒在600多年前 就被郑和的船队成功穿越, 我们打造的新边界的力量也不容小觑。
en-zh-cn
Whether you're trying to build your own walls, keep out what you don't want, keep in what you do, hold in your pride, keep out competition, all those things are going to happen anyway.
无论你是否在尝试打造自己的围墙, 想要趋利避害, 保留自己的骄傲, 躲避竞争, 但所有该来的都还是会如期而至。
en-zh-cn
The world is flat.
世界是平的。
en-zh-cn
It's flat!
它是平的!
en-zh-cn
But it's tilted toward China now.
不过它正在向中国倾斜。
en-zh-cn
(Laughter) And I can assure you, we Chinese millennials are ready to be the explorers in this new adventure from the Far East.
(笑声) 我可以很确定的告诉大家, 在遥远的东方,我们中国的 千禧一代已经准备好 探索新的冒险旅程了。
en-zh-cn
Humankind loves to build walls.
人类非常喜欢筑墙,
en-zh-cn
Have you ever noticed that?
你们注意到了吗?
en-zh-cn
We build walls for everything: for shelter, for protection, for privacy.
我们为了各种各样的原因筑墙: 为了避风,为了庇护,为了隐私。
en-zh-cn
Over the past 70 years, the number of barriers between countries has doubled.
过去的 70 年里, 国家之间的边界数量翻了一倍。
en-zh-cn
Right now, there are more walls than at the end of the Second World War, more than during the Cold War.
目前,位于国家边界的墙 比世界第二大战结束时还多, 甚至超越了冷战时期。
en-zh-cn
Growing up in Germany, the fall of the Berlin Wall always felt to me like the introduction of a new world, a world without barriers.
我从小在德国长大, 对柏林墙的倒塌深有感触, 它对于我来说意味着一个 新世界的开始,一个没有边界的世界。
en-zh-cn
But since the attacks of 9/11, the construction has experienced an extreme rise.
但自从 911 袭击后, 筑墙频率极速上升。
en-zh-cn
Since then, the amount has doubled, with about 30 new structures that were planned or built.
自那以后,边界墙数量翻了一倍, 列入计划或已经完工的 大概就有 30 个。
en-zh-cn
Walls and fences are often built with the intention of security, security from another group of people, from crime, from illegal trades.
墙跟围栏通常是为了 起到保护作用才建的, 保护我们远离另一群人, 防止犯罪和非法交易。
en-zh-cn
But walls and fences only provide us with a feeling of security, which is different from real security.
但墙跟围栏其实只能 让我们感觉到被保护, 这跟实际的安全是不同的。
en-zh-cn
Even though they might make us feel safe, the structures themselves can't protect us.
它们或许能让我们感到安全, 但却保护不了我们。
en-zh-cn
Instead, they do something else: they separate.
相反的,它们起到了另一个作用: 它们把我们隔离开来,
en-zh-cn
They create an us and a them.
它们创造了一个我们和一个他们,
en-zh-cn
They establish an enemy.
它们还树立了一个敌人。
en-zh-cn
Walls make us build a second wall in our head, a mental wall.
那些墙在我们的脑海中 创造了另一堵墙,一堵心理上的墙。
en-zh-cn
And those mental walls slowly make us lose sight of all the things we have in common with the people on the other side.
心理上的那堵墙使我们逐渐忘记, 我们与墙对面那些人 拥有的所有共同点。
en-zh-cn
The other way around, mental walls can grow so strong that they encourage us to build, keep or strengthen physical walls.
更可怕的是, 心理上的墙会越发牢固, 甚至促使我们 继续建造并强化现实里的墙。
en-zh-cn
Physical and mental walls are closely interlinked, and one almost always comes with the other.
现实跟心理上的墙是紧密联系着的, 拥有其中一堵,另一堵就随之而来。
en-zh-cn
It's a constant cycle: physical walls empower mental walls, and mental walls empower physical walls until at one point one part falls away, and the cycle is disrupted.
这是一个持续不断的循环: 现实中的墙强化心理上的墙, 心理上的墙强化现实中的墙。 直到某一时刻,其中一堵倒塌了, 这个循环也就被打破了。
en-zh-cn
When the Berlin Wall was being built, it was hard to tell who the wall was facing, because the people living around it identified as one.
当柏林墙尚在建造的时候, 你看不出它是面向哪一边的, 因为它两边的人是被视为一体的。
en-zh-cn
There was no us and them.
那时候没有我们和他们,
en-zh-cn
There was no others.
也没有其他人。
en-zh-cn
During the time of separation, both sides developed differently and formed individual identities.
当人们被分离之后, 两边的人都各自发展, 最后形成了两个独立的身份。
en-zh-cn
All of a sudden, there was an us and a them.
然后突然之间,本为一体的人 被分为了我们和他们。
en-zh-cn
A mental wall was built, and when the Berlin Wall fell again in 1989, this mental wall in the head of the people stayed.
一堵心理上的墙被建起来了, 然而当柏林墙在 1989 年被拆除时, 心理上的墙依旧 存留在大家的脑海里。
en-zh-cn
Eastern Germans had to be reintegrated into their own country, and even though they didn't have to move places, many still today feel like they have never fully arrived.
那时候东德人需要重新融入 原本自己的国家, 即使他们并没有真正搬过家, 许多人直至今日都还觉得 没有完完全全搬回去。
en-zh-cn
Those remaining effects of the mental wall are also measurable.
而且,那些心理上的墙 带来的影响是可测的。
en-zh-cn
A study from the Freie University of Berlin in 2005 shows that even 15 years after the reunification, Germans still believed that cities on the other side of the former wall are further away than they really are.
柏林自由大学 2005 年的 一项研究显示, 即使德国统一已经过去了 15 年, 德国人仍然认为墙另一边的城市 离他们的距离 比现实中的距离要远很多。
en-zh-cn
The interesting thing is that they found a link between political attitude and estimation of the distance.
更有趣的是,人们的政治意见 与他们预测的距离也有联系。
en-zh-cn
The more a participant was against the German reunification, the further away they estimated cities to be.
一个人越反对德国统一, 他们预测的距离也就越远。
en-zh-cn
It's the mental wall which keeps cities on the other side far away, and the higher and stronger this mental wall, the more difficult they seem to be reached.
是那堵心理上的墙 把对面的城市隔开了, 心理上的墙越高,越坚固, 对面那座城市就越遥不可及。
en-zh-cn
I tried to repeat this study with a group of young Germans who grew up without the wall to see if these effects are still measurable nowadays.
我尝试着复制了这个研究, 但采访的是柏林墙倒塌后 出生的一群年轻人, 想看看年轻一代有没有受到影响。
en-zh-cn
And the results show that this generation, my generation, is just kind of bad at geography in general -- (Laughter) East and West.
结果显示这一代人, 我这一代, 只是单纯的地理不太好而已—— (笑声) 无论出生在哪一边。
en-zh-cn
But in our defense, this could be seen as an improvement, right?
但也可以解释为,这可以 被看作一个进步,不是吗?
en-zh-cn
We never experienced the actual wall.
我们从来没有经历过柏林墙,
en-zh-cn
This physical barrier was never able to make us build a mental wall in the first place.
这意味着这堵现实中的墙 也就无法在我们脑海里 建立一堵心理上的墙。
en-zh-cn
I would love to take this as a serious indication that there could be a future without a mental wall dividing Germany, but I think we have to face reality: this one wall could be disappearing, but in the meanwhile, a billion others are constructed.
我很愿意相信这意味着, 德国的未来不会有一堵 心理上的墙把我们隔离开。 可我们要面对现实, 这堵墙或许在消失, 但有成千上万其他的墙 正在拔地而起。
en-zh-cn